Close

    • APR just shy of 10's in their Stage II dual pulley and Ultracharged B8 S4 3.0 TFSI S-Tronic - 11.012 1/4 mile

      So close to the 10's you can just feel it. You can also bet this car will be in the 10's soon as these runs were made at full weight and 1275 feet of density altitude. What makes this impressive is the S4 is still using the factory 1.32 liter Eaton blower.


      That is where the APR dual pulley system and Ultracharger throttle body upgrade come into play in order to squeeze every ounce of performance from the SC unit.


      You may be asking, how did APR almost cut a half second in elapsed time from the 2014 S4 that ran 11.5 @ 121 with these upgrades? Well, this car utilized their race gas tune as well as a more aggressive pulley setup among other things:

      2012 Audi S4 (B8) 3.0 TFSI S Tronic

      APR ECU Upgrade - Stage 2+ Ultracharger
      APR TCU Upgrade
      APR Ultracharger Throttle Body Upgrade
      APR Supercharger Drive Pulley
      APR Supercharger Crank Pulley
      APR Coolant Performance System
      APR Intake System
      2.5 Exhaust System with Testpipes
      Street Tires
      Full Interior
      Sunoco GT260 Plus

      To think they are about to get 10's out of the car on the factory blower using boost only and no nitrous is incredible. APR has literally pushed it to the maximum.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: APR Ultracharged S4 Sets New 1/4th Mile Record! started by Arin@APR View original post
      Comments 20 Comments
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Wow, this is starting to look like a better tuning option than the n54/55 unless you really plan on pushing the envelope. The traps are now there and this car can actually get out of the hole. Well done apr.
      1. biz77's Avatar
        biz77 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Wow, this is starting to look like a better tuning option than the n54/55 unless you really plan on pushing the envelope. The traps are now there and this car can actually get out of the hole. Well done apr.
        Better how so? That list of mods will run you around $9,000.

        If they haven't tried porting the little Eaton blower, they could try that to squeeze out a little more power. The 1900 blower on the LSAs benefit quite a bit from snout and runner porting once the boost is turned up.
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        What's an Ultracharger? Serious question. Is that just what they are calling their supercharger kit?
      1. I6+TT=FTW's Avatar
        I6+TT=FTW -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        What's an Ultracharger? Serious question. Is that just what they are calling their supercharger kit?
        Looks like they made a fancy throttle body and are calling it an Ultracharger. I assumed they were adding an electric turbo/supercharger, but guess not.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by biz77 Click here to enlarge
        Better how so? That list of mods will run you around $9,000.

        If they haven't tried porting the little Eaton blower, they could try that to squeeze out a little more power. The 1900 blower on the LSAs benefit quite a bit from snout and runner porting once the boost is turned up.
        Based on the fact that it will a great ET in addition to a great trap without having to break too far into the motor or throw tons of supplemental fuel at it. What is the record ET for stock turbo N54? I thought it was in the mid 11 range, but I could be well off.
      1. biz77's Avatar
        biz77 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Based on the fact that it will a great ET in addition to a great trap without having to break too far into the motor or throw tons of supplemental fuel at it. What is the record ET for stock turbo N54? I thought it was in the mid 11 range, but I could be well off.
        500WHP and 540WTQ is the record for a stock turbo N54 IIRC. ET? Not sure. MPH is similar to the Audi. My point is that for $9,000 a turbo upgrade is in your budget and you're not spinning the guts out of the stock turbos. It may still very well be a 12-second car at that point LOL, but it will dominate the Audi in trap speeds and roll racing.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by biz77 Click here to enlarge
        500WHP and 540WTQ is the record for a stock turbo N54 IIRC. ET? Not sure. MPH is similar to the Audi. My point is that for $9,000 a turbo upgrade is in your budget and you're not spinning the guts out of the stock turbos. It may still very well be a 12-second car at that point LOL, but it will dominate the Audi in trap speeds and roll racing.
        I may have not been clear enough: I'm talking about putting down a good ET. Not hero dyno pulls or trap speeds.

        Also, how did you come to that $9,000 number? That might be what it cost to get there via APR, but I'm sure this number will be duplicated with a setup that swaps in some other vendors that sell the same quality at a steep discount.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        What's an Ultracharger? Serious question. Is that just what they are calling their supercharger kit?
        http://www.audiboost.com/content.php...y-Dyno-results
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Also, how did you come to that $9,000 number?
        They pulleys and Ultracharger are way less than that...
      1. Aces's Avatar
        Aces -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Based on the fact that it will a great ET in addition to a great trap without having to break too far into the motor or throw tons of supplemental fuel at it. What is the record ET for stock turbo N54? I thought it was in the mid 11 range, but I could be well off.

        Audi is known for being pretty good at the drag strip while Bmw is known not to be. Hard to compare the two in just that aspect of racing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aces Click here to enlarge
        Audi is known for being pretty good at the drag strip while Bmw is known not to be.
        That's not really true. Plenty of quick BMW's out there it's just the N54's haven't really achieved great times.

        E36's are in the 8's.

        The F10 M5 is in the 9's.

        The new AWD BMW's will make it even easier.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aces Click here to enlarge
        Audi is known for being pretty good at the drag strip while Bmw is known not to be. Hard to compare the two in just that aspect of racing.
        If that is the case, then what are you going to use to compare being able to make power and put it down? A dyno sheet? A 1/2 mile trap that might have started at 30mph or might have started at 60mph? People come up with standards for a reason.
      1. Aces's Avatar
        Aces -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's not really true. Plenty of quick BMW's out there it's just the N54's haven't really achieved great times.

        E36's are in the 8's.

        The F10 M5 is in the 9's.

        The new AWD BMW's will make it even easier.
        You are right, Im just thinking about the E90 and F30 Rwd versions.
      1. Aces's Avatar
        Aces -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        If that is the case, then what are you going to use to compare being able to make power and put it down? A dyno sheet? A 1/2 mile trap that might have started at 30mph or might have started at 60mph? People come up with standards for a reason.
        I was simply stating its hard to just compare that. No need to get all salty.
        But yes lets see some half mile.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aces Click here to enlarge
        I was simply stating its hard to just compare that. No need to get all salty.
        But yes lets see some half mile.
        Some half mile what? Are there any standards at all for those events yet?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Some half mile what? Are there any standards at all for those events yet?
        Not that I know of...
      1. biz77's Avatar
        biz77 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        I may have not been clear enough: I'm talking about putting down a good ET. Not hero dyno pulls or trap speeds.

        Also, how did you come to that $9,000 number? That might be what it cost to get there via APR, but I'm sure this number will be duplicated with a setup that swaps in some other vendors that sell the same quality at a steep discount.
        If running a low ET is the goal this is still a terrible platform and a poor value IMO, but I'm used to domestics $/performance ratios.

        It's an APR car using APR parts so I'm using APR pricing. Show me another B8 or B8.5 S4 putting down the same numbers with different parts and I will use those pricesClick here to enlarge

        They list all of the parts used on the build and APR lists the pricing on their site. Add it all up yourself. Stage 1, Stage 2 and DSG software alone will run you over $2,600.00. That doesn't include their $1,600 "Ultracharger," $700 intake or $625 set of pullies etc, etc, etc.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by biz77 Click here to enlarge
        $2,600.00. That doesn't include their $1,600 "Ultracharger," $700 intake or $625 set of pullies etc, etc, etc.
        That still isn't $9k but so what? How else are you going to get more out of the factory blower?

        Your only other option is to go to a bigger blower which is even more money.
      1. biz77's Avatar
        biz77 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That still isn't $9k but so what? How else are you going to get more out of the factory blower?

        Your only other option is to go to a bigger blower which is even more money.
        Bottom line:
        Stage 1: $1,300
        Stage 2: $325
        DSG tuning $1,000
        Pullies: $625
        Stage 1 and stage 2 intake: $700
        Ultracharger: $1,600
        APR coolant performance system - which doesn't even seem to be available any longer: $1,000
        Undisclosed test pipes: $500 and that is generous
        Undisclosed exhaust system: $1,500 again being generous.
        Pretty close to $9,000 according to my math and likely over depending which exhaust is on the car.

        About the only thing left to do with the stock blower is, as previously mentioned, porting it like we do on the Eaton 1900's.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Yeah I suppose you are getting close as you add on options but the dual pulleys are pretty reasonable themselves with the tuning which is far less than $9k

        It just comes down to what you spend. It's not like exhausts on other platforms are cheaper and it's usually the opposite in the German world.

        If it was me I'd just go to a bigger blower and be done with it.