Close

    • Comparing the 2017 Audi R8 V10 Spyder and Porsche 911 (991.2) Turbo Cabriolet - Acceleration + roadcourse laptimes

      These are two of the hottest drop tops on the market. MotorTrend decided to compare them in sunny California (which is a popular place for these cars) but they opted for the standard Turbo instead of the S. The R8 Spyder does not come as a V10 Plus model.


      On paper, this should be close between the two. The 5.2 liter naturally aspirated V10 powered R8 has 540 horsepower but 'only' 398 lb-ft of torque. The 911 Turbo on the other hand has 486 lb-ft of torque from its 3.8 liter twin turbo flat-6 and the same 540 horsepower.

      Base pricing is similar between the two but the R8 certainly has more exotic styling for the money. Not that the 911 Turbo looks bad. The 991.2 generation is arguably the best looking 911 iteration since the 993. The bottom line is they both turn heads.

      The 911 has one major advantage though when comparing performance. It weighs 300 pounds less. That is very significant although a person who just wants to be seen likely will not care.

      So what about the straightline performance?

      911: 11.0 @ 125.0
      R8: 11.5 @ 122.7

      Acceleration is one part but which is more fun to drive? They criticize the R8's transmission a bit. However, they are enamored with the handling and ride. The sound of the motor is no contest. Overall, the R8 seems to be the car that offers a bit more emotion despite being heavier and slower.

      How do they do on the racetrack?


      The 911 Turbo eats it alive. It isn't even close. The laptime for the 911 Turbo is barely off a 2015 GT3. Incredible.

      Now, most cabrio buyers will not care about the performance advantage for the Porsche. Those who do put a premium on performance should get the 911 Turbo.

      Either way, these are two awesome topless sports cars.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Comparing the 2017 Audi R8 V10 Spyder and Porsche 911 (991.2) Turbo Cabriolet - Acceleration + roadcourse laptimes started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 17 Comments
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        I would definitely take the R8. Spend that kind of money on a 911, I would get a GT3.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        I would definitely take the R8. Spend that kind of money on a 911, I would get a GT3.
        At that price point the 911 isn't all that special.

        I'd probably take the R8 too and add some turbos.

        Honestly? I'd just get a McLaren 650 Spyder used over either.
      1. Zombie1's Avatar
        Zombie1 -
        Would love to see this race run back with the R8 running APR e85 tune.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zombie1 Click here to enlarge
        Would love to see this race run back with the R8 running APR e85 tune.
        What about the 991.2 running programming then?
      1. Zombie1's Avatar
        Zombie1 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        What about the 991.2 running programming then?
        Well the 911 is clearly the more robust set up. I was saying Id like to see the R8 tuned since audi does not offer the Plus model for the vert. Yes I know the turbo has an S model. Just seems silly they just detune the v10 by almost 100hp.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zombie1 Click here to enlarge
        I was saying I’d like to see the R8 tuned since audi does not offer the Plus model for the vert.
        Annoying MotorTrend doesn't mention this and says twice the Plus version of the cab has more power when there isn't one.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        One of my contract employers has a R8 V10 Plus on APR's e85 tune. The car is extremely fast, but not in a manner that is life changing when compared to a 991.1 with turbo upgrades and programming.

        The 991.2 is going to be even more amazing that the 991.1 once we see the aftermarket goodies.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        The 991.2 is going to be even more amazing that the 991.1 once we see the aftermarket goodies.
        Why do you feel that way?
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why do you feel that way?
        Evolution, improvements in manufacturing techniques and the car is just flat our better. The guys who are in the know, are getting pretty dam good at what the are doing. Almost too damn good.

        Manufacturing techniques such as 3D printed metal, Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) and of course improvements in 3D modeling software.

        All of those things listed above make me smile, I wish I either had the skill, or the $$ to be personally involved.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        Evolution, improvements in manufacturing techniques and the car is just flat our better. The guys who are in the know, are getting pretty dam good at what the are doing. Almost too damn good.

        Manufacturing techniques such as 3D printed metal, Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) and of course improvements in 3D modeling software.

        All of those things listed above make me smile, I wish I either had the skill, or the $$ to be personally involved.
        Interesting. I hear people telling me the PDK trans in the 991.2 Turbo will be a problem to upgrade and the ECU of course is an issue.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Interesting. I hear people telling me the PDK trans in the 991.2 Turbo will be a problem to upgrade and the ECU of course is an issue.
        The ECU/DME is not an issue, obviously GIAC bought there way into it and are BDM flashing. They are mortal men just like anyone else. Personally I would prefer to see COBB programming, therefore I am waiting.

        COBB should already be in the DME, it only took them a very, very short time to get into mine on my Macan Turbo, they were the first in that particular DME. W

        hat did take time for them was getting the calibration to flash onto the DME, through their method of programming, which is the Access Port.

        I had COBB calibration on my Macan turbo many months before the AP was ready. They may already have calibration on their test cars a not sharing it wth the public.

        I do not see any problems upgrading the PDK either, its just a matter of time. We used to hear everyone say the exact same thing about the dot one.

        It always comes down to this

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        The ECU/DME is not an issue, obviously GIAC bought there way into it and are BDM flashing.
        Bought there way into it?

        I talked to GIAC the other day and they said they are not doing BDM but it is a bench flash. Nobody really knows what they are doing but the process is involved and takes a day or so.

        Regardless, they still seem to be far away from full control and OBD-II is a problem still.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        COBB should already be in the DME, it only took them a very, very short time to get into mine on my Macan Turbo, they were the first in that particular DME. W
        It's a completely different DME: http://www.porscheboost.com/content....ents-the-issue
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Bought there way into it?

        I talked to GIAC the other day and they said they are not doing BDM but it is a bench flash. Nobody really knows what they are doing but the process is involved and takes a day or so.

        Regardless, they still seem to be far away from full control and OBD-II is a problem still.



        It's a completely different DME: http://www.porscheboost.com/content....ents-the-issue
        I know it is a different DME, that is not hard to figure out. BDM is a generic catch all term used for bench flashing in the automotive tuning world.

        What they are doing, they are keeping their cards to their chest, as they rightfully should. What typically takes the time in the OBD-II integration is making the file fit within the constraints of the chip, and protecting their intellectual property (encryption).

        Every single ECU has a back door key. This key has a value to it and it always for sale on the open market. The newer the key, the greater value it h
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        You didn't write anything...
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The R8 Spyder does not come as a V10 Plus model.
        Oddly I think only the US doesn't get the V10 plus. It definitely comes in V10 plus (spyder) in Canada.

        Attachment 55200
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        Oddly I think only the US doesn't get the V10 plus
        That's pretty weird.

        Maybe they'll eventually bring it over?
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's pretty weird.

        Maybe they'll eventually bring it over?
        I would guess so. I mean, the US is the largest market for supercars... And they definitely love buying the top end trim. My only guess is it must be some strange regulatory issue delaying or preventing them from selling it there.