Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: College Choices....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

College Choices....

Hey BimmerBoost! Im coming to you all for information and ideas about college. I dont have many people to talk to about this (my school advisers dont have first-hand info...), and E90Post is full of r-tards so im coming to you all Click here to enlarge Im seeking experiences and opinions...

Current plans:
    As it stands, i am hoping to major in either mechanical engineering or finance. Im thinking undergrad = engineering, graduate = finance. Im a junior now, but applications are not too far away.

Applying to these (order from current top choice to last choice) / University Website:
    1) Columbia in NYC / http://www.columbia.edu/
    2) Cornell University / http://www.cornell.edu/
    3) Carnegie Mellon / http://www.cmu.edu/index.shtml
    4) Rice University / http://www.rice.edu/
    5) Washington University in St. Lois / http://wustl.edu/
    6) Geogia Tech / http://www.gatech.edu/
    7) Standford / http://www.stanford.edu/ '
    8) (ill add more later when i find my list.... lol)

Backups: UCF/UF/FSU
    These are basically a given.

Grades:
    As it stands, my SAT/GPA are in the middle 50% of Columbia's admissions (the hardest on the list), and well above Georgia Techs admissions. Ill also be applying to UCF as a huge back-up + in-state tuition handouts. I do not have legacy at any of these schools, fyi.

Tuition:
    While my father hates the price tag, lets assume that i can afford any of these colleges (my sister is currently at UVA which isnt cheap out of state....). Take $ out of the equation for now (since all of the besides Georgia/UCF are relatively expensive). I plan on repaying my tuition in full to him eventually, but thats another story for another day.

My Question:
    Has anyone on BB gone to any of the above schools within the last 10 years or so? Anyone have a family member/friend that has gone to one of the above? Im seeking information on the experience of the school itself, the classes, social life, dorms, city life, anything. Ill be visiting NYC soon (hopefully) to take a look at Columbia/Cornell and possibly Carnegie Mellon.

Thanks!
    -E
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While my father hates the price tag, lets assume that i can afford any of these colleges (my sister is currently at UVA which isnt cheap out of state....). Take $ out of the equation for now (since all of the besides Georgia/UCF are relatively expensive). I plan on repaying my tuition in full to him eventually, but thats another story for another day.
    If your parents are paying convince them to give you the money instead. This is what I should have done.

College was a huge waste of money and I doubt I'll ever use my degrees for anything. But it's important to be "educated" or something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If your parents are paying convince them to give you the money instead. This is what I should have done.

College was a huge waste of money... at least for me.
    Im not sure of what you do (besides this awesome forum Click here to enlarge ), but i want to work on wallstreet (i work for a UBS broker now, as his assitant). I doubt i can get there without college.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)

I doubt i can get there without college.
    You can't. So you need it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Im not sure of what you do (besides this awesome forum Click here to enlarge ), but i want to work on wallstreet (i work for a UBS broker now, as his assitant). I doubt i can get there without college.
    I wouldn't focus so much on where you go (as long as its a good, recognizable name with a solid business school) because as a general rule it's not what you know, it's who you know. That being said the bigger better schools will give you better contacts and associations (ie if you go to yale you will rub shoulders with guys whos parents are CEO's of banks and stuff, you won't get that at UCF likely). Not saying you don't need to know stuff but you also need "an in" because as I'm sure you can understand - MILLIONS of people all want to do the same thing as you and you likely will get lost in a crowd.

What are your reasons behind those specific schools?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by seth Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't focus so much on where you go (as long as its a good, recognizable name with a solid business school) because as a general rule it's not what you know, it's who you know. That being said the bigger better schools will give you better contacts and associations (ie if you go to yale you will rub shoulders with guys whos parents are CEO's of banks and stuff, you won't get that at UCF likely). Not saying you don't need to know stuff but you also need "an in" because as I'm sure you can understand - MILLIONS of people all want to do the same thing as you and you likely will get lost in a crowd.

What are your reasons behind those specific schools?
    Yeah, i completely agree. Thats one of the reasons i like Columbia, is because its a stone-throw away from wallstreet, and has a great business school. I never considered Yale or Stanford, as i always assumed i wouldnt be able to get in due to how people spoke of them. Ill do some more research and see. A buddy of mine who has slightly better grades than me is at Princeton right now, and he also got into Dartmouth. He barely got into Princeton though...

Unfortunately it matters that i say this, but im white, so take that into the picture when thinking about colleges that ill apply to. A black friend of mine with worse grades has a 100% paid ride to Harvard. Racism my ass. But i dont want to derail the thread with that statement either haha
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You will make your mind up when you visit the schools you are interested in. Most of time a certain school just feels right. I have some family members that went to Rice, very nice school. Competitive to get into, but a top shelf education. You will love the campus. There is plenty to do in Houston, it is after all the 4th largest city in the nation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)

Yeah, i completely agree. Thats one of the reasons i like Columbia, is because its a stone-throw away from wallstreet, and has a great business school. I never considered Yale or Stanford, as i always assumed i wouldnt be able to get in due to how people spoke of them. Ill do some more research and see. A buddy of mine who has slightly better grades than me is at Princeton right now, and he also got into Dartmouth. He barely got into Princeton though...

Unfortunately it matters that i say this, but im white, so take that into the picture when thinking about colleges that ill apply to. A black friend of mine with worse grades has a 100% paid ride to Harvard. Racism my ass.
    After going for a "prestige" school honestly man it doesn't matter all that much. Go to the one you are most comfortable with. Let the guys at Yale keeps their sticks up their asses and keep their "club" of who gets in or doesn't based on donations, who knows who, and hereditary bull$#@! going.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    You will make you mind up when you visit the schools you are interested in. Most of time a certain school just feels right. I have some family members that went to Rice, very nice school. Competitive to get into, but a top shelf education. You will love the campus. There is plenty to do in Houston, it is after all the 4th largest city in the nation.
    Thats how my sister felt about UVA and UNC, so i understand where your coming from. Unfortunately, the colleges im looking at span from NYC (Columbia), to Houston (Rice), to California (Stanford), etc, and i doubt ill get to visit a lot of them...

@Sticky could you add 'Standford / http://www.stanford.edu/ ' to the list in the OP? Thats the one i forgot lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I can't help you this year, but next year I certainly could as I have applied to several of the schools you're looking into (accepted to GT, waiting to hear from Columbia). It really comes down to which school you could most likely see yourself at and, like previously mentioned, what kind of job contacts the school has. Good luck with your search

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)

@Sticky could you add 'Standford / http://www.stanford.edu/ ' to the list in the OP? Thats the one i forgot lol
    It's nice to shoot for the stars man... sure, why not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bdtsulev Click here to enlarge
    I can't help you this year, but next year I certainly could as I have applied to several of the schools you're looking into (accepted to GT, waiting to hear from Columbia). It really comes down to which school you could most likely see yourself at and, like previously mentioned, what kind of job contacts the school has. Good luck with your search
    Thanks for the info, keep me posted! If you dont mind, would you PM me your GPA/SAT/ACT? Im just curious, and if you dont want to thats totally fine. Just wondering how you stack up. GPA is very school-dependent, so that one isnt as big of a deal.

Also, as it turns out, my SAT lines up for Yale as well, but it would be on the lower end of their average acceptance. Well above on reading/math, but skimping along with my writing Click here to enlarge 720, 760, 700 (which i will be doing again to raise it, actually gana study this time haha)
    Last edited by Eric335; 01-25-2013 at 01:34 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)

but it would be on the lower end of their average acceptance.
    Then without knowing anyone you won't get in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Then without knowing anyone you won't get in.
    Yeah, the legacy/friends/race really isnt helping me.... lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)

Yeah, the legacy/friends/race really isnt helping me.... lol
    Well then stop going for name. Go for the one that feels right. Go for the one that will get you to your goal on Wall Street. Once there it is how you perform more than what college you went to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

You've listed a ton of great schools. You can't really go wrong with that list as far as your education is concerned. GA Tech is a fantastic engineering school, I don't know much about their business school but it doesn't seem to fall in line with your goals as much as the others. There's no reason you couldn't get to Wall St. with a GT education, but you'd end up supplementing it with an MBA or similar from somewhere else.

Like others have said, find a place where you fit in. Take tours, audit classes, find alums willing to answer questions, whatever. Keep in mind that college isn't all about the name on your diploma.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    You've listed a ton of great schools. You can't really go wrong with that list as far as your education is concerned. GA Tech is a fantastic engineering school, I don't know much about their business school but it doesn't seem to fall in line with your goals as much as the others. There's no reason you couldn't get to Wall St. with a GT education, but you'd end up supplementing it with an MBA or similar from somewhere else.

Like others have said, find a place where you fit in. Take tours, audit classes, find alums willing to answer questions, whatever. Keep in mind that college isn't all about the name on your diploma.
    Very true. Now i just need to convince my father into letting me go visit some others. I can pay for the trips myself, but i doubt my mother would let me. What ive learned from my sisters experience, is that theres a lot of factors that i need to take into account. Like dorms, one of my pet peeves. Her dorm room is literally 12' x 16' and fits two girls. I couldnt do that lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If you're interested in Rice, I'd recommend looking into Texas A&M and UT Austin as well. I have a close friend who goes to UT from Florida as well.

There are so many great schools out there; I really wouldn't worry too much about where you end up. Of course getting a job in NYC can be notoriously difficult but so is trying to stand out among so many other strong students at places like Carnegie Mellon. I would have gone there for CS but honestly I know I'm not up to the task and UT fit my budget better anyways.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You could always do graduate work at schools like yale or Stanford down the road if you wanted. From what I understand, their graduate programs offer a far better environment than their undergraduate programs. Plus people will see graduate work as far more usable in your field compared to undergraduate. Always something to consider.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    If you're interested in Rice, I'd recommend looking into Texas A&M and UT Austin as well. I have a close friend who goes to UT from Florida as well.

There are so many great schools out there; I really wouldn't worry too much about where you end up. Of course getting a job in NYC can be notoriously difficult but so is trying to stand out among so many other strong students at places like Carnegie Mellon. I would have gone there for CS but honestly I know I'm not up to the task and UT fit my budget better anyways.
    Repped because longhorn.

Some schools have weird dorm policies, the city you'd be in will be a factor in this as well. You'll meet some interesting people in dorms though. Also consider cost of living, rural vs. urban (I don't think you listed any rural schools, Tx A&M sure is one though), political leaning, demographics of the school and the city (GT has a terrible bro-to-ho ratio), nightlife, climate, etc...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge

Interesting points you have made. As far as texas schools, i have a buddy at SMU who loves it, and loves Texas. Ill take a look at your suggestions Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info, +rep!

You could always do graduate work at schools like yale or Stanford down the road if you wanted. From what I understand, their graduate programs offer a far better environment than their undergraduate programs. Plus people will see graduate work as far more usable in your field compared to undergraduate. Always something to consider.
    Thats something my mother has been pushing. A cheaper undergraduate option, with a school like Columbia for graduate work
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    Repped because longhorn.

Some schools have weird dorm policies, the city you'd be in will be a factor in this as well. You'll meet some interesting people in dorms though. Also consider cost of living, rural vs. urban (I don't think you listed any rural schools, Tx A&M sure is one though), political leaning, demographics of the school and the city (GT has a terrible bro-to-ho ratio), nightlife, climate, etc...
    Thats one of the reasons i stray from GT and Cornell. GT for the 'bro-to-ho' and the city, and Cornell is basically in Siberia, which is too cold for a Florida boy. Ive never been to NYC, so once i get there, ill know for sure if i could handle 4 years or more at Columbia.

And when im calculating tuition i usually just lump room + board into it as well. I dont go as far as calculating food plans ,since thats small compared to the other two. Columbias tuition isnt terribly expensive compared to the others, its just its room + board thats crazy.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Room & Board often includes some kind of "meal plan" if you're staying on campus. That might be worth looking further into. Food may cost less than rent but it's far from negligible Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

this is very true though to get into one of those programs you need to stand out big time wherever you are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Unfortunately it matters that i say this, but im white, so take that into the picture when thinking about colleges that ill apply to. A black friend of mine with worse grades has a 100% paid ride to Harvard. Racism my ass. But i dont want to derail the thread with that statement either haha
    Never hurts to apply my friend. Personally I would tell you in your search to stay out on the East and maybe consider some of the bigger schools such as U Penn (Wharton is top notch), NYU, UVA, UNC, Duke, Columbia, Vanderbilt, U of Chicago or maybe even some Big 10 schools like Northwestern or Wisconsin or Indiana. It's true that grad school might be where you hit up a big name but having a good undergrad behind you and to help launch you into a good grad school certainly won't hurt. Apply to as many as you possibly can because your work now will certainly translate into better choices of where you can go when it's time to choose.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast